Our team is growing and we are looking for an experienced Executive Art Director to provide strategic leadership, vision, concepting, and expertise to all design and editorial disciplines.
This position will lead and direct the strategy, design and production of Grey Dog Media’s print and/or digital publications. In addition, create drawings, backgrounds, lettering, or other original graphics for commercial use in keeping with the design aesthetics of our in-house and client parameters.
To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter, resume, and portfolio.
Grey Dog Media is a growing, national-award-winning creator and publisher of custom and consumer media. Our products include magazines, catalogs, books, websites, videos, commercials, and collateral. This is a fast-paced, yet relaxed environment with experienced professionals. We offer a friendly, professional workplace, full-benefits, competitive salary, and remarkable opportunities for creative-skills development, and career advancement.
- Create an aesthetic that raises the quality bar while consistently delivering on brand strategy and message
- Collaborate across departments to implement design standards, messaging and processes to produce consistent, high quality results
- Attend and lead weekly progress meetings to help brainstorm ideas and report on work progress
- Under the direction of the Creative Director template and design content for commercial use in keeping with client approved style guides
- Submit completed work to Creative Director for approval and re-design as directed until work has met client expectations.
- Build best practices, workflows and processes to drive improved planning, prioritization and communication to better meet fast-paced, high-volume and high-quality demands and deadlines
- Manage art staff in a manner that facilitates teamwork and ensures deadlines are met, and produces quality work
- Mentor junior staff and provide support and feedback to help them advance
- Provide clear, concise, and direct feedback and design critique
- In cooperation with department staff, determine appropriate assignments and allocation of work
- Direct photo shoots in the studio and on location
- Ensure photo shoots are conducted in accordance with the style guide and senior management directives.
- Remain up-to-date on marketplace, industry and design trends, including insights into cultural trends, competition and target audiences
- Work in a collaborative manner to meet client deadlines
- Demonstrate knowledge, understanding of and respect for media law
- Maintain a positive can-do attitude and support that attitude among junior staff
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Art or related field
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience as an Art Director on a consumer magazine or catalog (or similar equivalent experience)
- Portfolio demonstrating proficiency in skill and a sophisticated sense of design, photography and typography
- Expert fluency in Adobe Creative Suite with advanced layout and typography skills
- Solid understanding of the elements of design
- Able to adapt skill to the aesthetics of each project
- Flexibility and the ability to adjust to the needs of clients
- Experience in directing studio photography; experience photographing food and models preferred
- Able to interpret editorial direction and vision to alight visual design with magazine content
- Exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills; able to balance multiple priorities and demands simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail and excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills; proven successful experience in supervising, mentoring and team-building
- Able to work collaboratively while maintaining high standards
- Maintains a positive attitude, even while working under pressure in an environment where job demands are constantly changing
- Web/Interactive Design experience preferred
Job Location: West Des Moines, Iowa
Benefits: Medical/HSA/401K/LTD/AD&D/Life Ins./Dental/PTO/Vision
Compensation: Highly Competitive