This position is responsible for leading and managing a team in researching, writing, and editing for magazine, digital and web-based content as directed by the Executive Editor. In addition, a strong understanding of English grammar is required to markup proofs for change. The Managing Editor will work with the Executive Editor to maintain deadlines and achieve client expectations and mentor junior Editors.
About the magazine
Seasons Magazine, a cuisine & lifestyle publication, features over 30 recipes per issue, developed by our very own test kitchen staff. Additionally, craft projects, Hy-Vee initiatives and lifestyle topics are covered throughout Seasons.
This is a fast-paced, yet relaxed environment alongside experienced professionals. We offer full-benefits and competitive salary, with great opportunities for advancement within the company, based solely on performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ editorial experience in publishing
- Able to write, edit and/or produce assigned articles
- Expert understanding of English grammar
- Able to maintain a consistent writing style and proofread articles for grammatical errors, voice/tone and substance in adherence with standard style guides (AP and Chicago)
- Experience researching and sourcing editorial content; skilled at using reference resources
- Solid understanding of trends, timely, relevant stories and viral content
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and time-management skills; able to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to work collaboratively while maintaining high standards
- Positive attitude
- Knowledge of cuisine, crafting, health and fitness related topics preferred
Job Location: West Des Moines, Iowa
Benefits: Medical/HSA/401K/LTD/AD&D/Life Ins./Dental/PTO/Vision
Compensation: Highly Competitive