Our team is growing and we are currently seeking a full-time Senior Art Director to manage all aspects of design related to the production of assigned print and/or digital publications under the leadership of Project Director(s).
Responsibilities include concepting print and/or digital layouts through mood boards, sketches and templates; planning, procuring/producing materials and sets for photography; directing photo shoots and completing finished graphic design works.
To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter, resume, and portfolio.
Grey Dog Media is a growing, national-award-winning creator and publisher of custom and consumer media. Our products include magazines, catalogs, books, websites, videos, commercials, and collateral. This is a fast-paced, yet relaxed environment with experienced professionals. We offer a friendly, professional workplace, full-benefits, competitive salary, and remarkable opportunities for creative-skills development, and career advancement.
- Follow production schedules and meet deadlines for all assigned tasks
- Concept print and/or digital layouts and stories in agreement with established strategies, style and aesthetics using thumb nails, mood boards, sketches and templates
- Design and produce finished layout designs working within the confines of the Editorial Brief, Editorial Outline, directives from the Project Director(s), client input and established strategies, style and aesthetics
- Plan, procure products/produce materials and build sets for photography
- Direct photo shoots in the studio and on location to create high-level photography covering a variety of subjects including food, products, plants and floral, talent and interior/exterior sets
- Oversee photography set and staff, including directing photographers, stylists, assistants and talent to maintain safe practices and achieve project goals
- Flow text, place photography and finalize layouts
- Deliver complete designs in a clean and finished fashion to Project Director(s)
- Assist with all aspects of magazine or project production, including opening and closing an issue, folder generation and management, client change inputs, color mark ups, etc.
- Use and maintain physical and digital folders
- Demonstrate knowledge, understanding of and respect for media law
- Exhibit strong attention to detail, with an understanding and goal of achieving high-level, refined work
- Ability to multi-task, assess and prioritize layered deliverables with different schedules
- Attend and participate in progress meetings, work presentations, brainstorms and post-mortems
- Remain up-to-date on marketplace, industry and design trends, including insights into cultural trends, competition and target audiences
- Work in a collaborative manner to meet client deadlines
- Maintain a positive can-do attitude and support that attitude among other staff and freelancers
- Showcase a positive, can-do attitude
- Other duties as assigned
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Art, Graphic Design or a related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ Art Director experience in magazine publishing (or similar equivalent experience)
- Advanced layout and typography skills
- Sophisticated sense of design, photography and typography
- Experience directing studio and location photography
- Problem-solving, interactive approach to design
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly motivated with ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to multi task
- Positive attitude
- Desire to work on a collaborative team with high standards
- Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office
- Web/Interactive Design experience preferred
Job Location: West Des Moines, Iowa
Benefits: Medical/HSA/401K/LTD/AD&D/Life Ins./Dental/PTO
Compensation: Highly Competitive